I love figs!
I love dates!
So lets concentrate on combining them in one delish bar.
I love eating these guilt free, fibery, protein, magnesium filled bars! So many good things in them. Hope YOU know how to say no... because I find it hard to say no to these babies.
Enjoy making these with your little ones and teach them that adding white sugar is not always necessary.
- 1 cup of dried raw figs
- 1 T ground flaxseed (only use for fresh fig filling)
- 3 cups raw almonds
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 cup raw medjool dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 T unsweetened flax or hemp milk (or use dairy if you must)
For Fig Filling:
- For Crust/Crumb Layer:
- Using wax paper, fit a piece inside a 9x9 inch baking pan. Make sure piece is well fitted on the inside and hangs over sides. It doesnt have to be perfect.
- Place fresh figs in food processor and process until smooth.
- Add in ground flaxseed.
- Remove from food processor and set aside. Empty the food processor for the next ingredients.
- Add almonds, flaxseed and dates to food processor and process for 1 minute.
- Add in vanilla extract and almond milk (starting with 1 T and adding another if mix is dry) and continue processing until mixture turns into a sticky ball.
- Take 2/3 of mixture and flatten inside wax wrapped baking pan using hands. Make sure the crust is even.
- Top with figgy filling. Spreading over crust using a spatula.
- Take remaining mixture and crumble over bars. Flatten those pieces over fig filling just slightly as a topping (use a spatula or spoon).
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and pull bars out of pan by lifting up the wax paper
- Cut into 12 bars.
Store in the fridge covered for up to a week.
Freeze airtight for up to a month.