Happy Hump Day!
Many of you want to eat better. I know that. With kids, a job and a busy life, its hard.
With some small changes you can start. The most simple ingredients can be used to transform a typically unhealthy dish into an incredibly healthy version. For example, do you really need to eat that pie crust on the quiche? How about a frittata full of goodness instead? A pizza made with heavy wheat pizza dough? How about this cauliflower pizza dough? that The Lucky Penny demonstrates. Its AMAZING! http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html
I mean look at it!
Im all for a Paleo diet, but cheese?.... mmmmm. I cant give up cheese so go ahead. Make that cauliflower pizza with home made tomato sauce and yummy cheese. I like anchovies on mine too.
Excuse me while I go and stuff my face. This post made me hungry..
Anyway.. the reason I think we should eat healthier is for our children. (I am slightly crazy about this). Our food sources in the USA are more than atrocious. Our kids are so used to eating packaged foods these days. Did you eat that growing up? I sure didn't and I don't want my kids eating it either.
To make a 'food item' non perishable (most kids snacks), it needs to be treated with chemicals. To get even more into it, wheat, for the most part is either from GMO seeds and has been sprayed with pesticides. Round up to be exact. See this for more info http://sustainablepulse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Glyphosate_II_Samsel-Seneff.pdf. After all that, your kids cracker has to be processed and kept fresh. Here is where the yummy cocktail of other crap comes in.
- Dyes such as Red 3, Red 40, Blue 1, Blue 2, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Green 3, and others -- like Yellow 10 or Red 30 -- in medicines and toiletries. ADHD, neurological disorders amongst many other problems are linked with artificial color. Food dyes are synthesized from petroleum and are legally permitted to be contaminated with toxic byproducts that include lead, mercury and arsenic. Thanks FDA! Love ya!
- Artificial flavors Vanillin is a common one, but there are thousands of others just called 'flavors' or 'natural flavors'). By the way, some flavors are derived from animal excretions. Say no more.
- Artificial sweeteners like aspartame (Equal) and sucrolose (Splenda).
- Preservatives: BHA, BHT and TBHQ. Fuel additives, Butane and petrol chemicals. Mmmm tasty. Also a cancer risk, causes asthma and behavioral issues in children amongst a plethora of other delights.
- HFCS's High Fructose Corn Syrup. YUK! Nothing good about this. Their little carbonyl molecules can cause tissue damage that may lead to obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
I wont go on too much. But you can find these additives in nasty items like most Kellogg cereals, Cheerios, Sodas, Pepperidge farm products, breads, candy. Heres a taster: no pun intended.
All the above cereals
Non organic yogurts
Store bought cooked, whole chickens OMG read here http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/9-common-foods-contain-toxic-ingredients/slide/10
Goldfish snacks. Yes those. The BHT is sprayed in all of Pepperidge farms packaging so that they dont have to label it as an ingredient. Nice.
Reeses Peanut Butter Cups have both BHT and TBHQ
All gum except Glee Gum.
Fast Foods. (Five guys does not contain chemicals)
The list goes on.
And HELLO! all these things are BANNED in the UK, Japan and Europe. Here is #HealthyGroceryGirls take on it http://healthygrocerygirl.com/bha-and-bht/
So start reading labels moms. Try to eat cleaner foods, ones with no shelf life or great brands like Pamelas, Greek Gods yoghurts, Wallaby Yoghurts, Natures Path, Motts all natural, Healthy Helpings, Enjoy Life, Brothers.. So many out there that are safer.
Try to think of healthy alternatives for you and your family. Im happy to help. I am also surrounded by a bounty of health freaks like Jaime Askew, who are happy to answer any questions we can! See Jaime here https://www.facebook.com/jaimeaskewnutrition
Good luck! We need it out there.